Let's start with some good news: U.S. District Court judge strikes down another Administration attempt to gut the Affordable Care Act's protections against sex stereotyping. Judge Boasberg left many of our Administration's nefarious attempts to injure gay/transgender folk in place, but he may well have had in mind Justice Gorsuch's recent ruling that Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 protects gay/transgender folk from discrimination in the workplace, even if this isn't a workplace issue per se -- I would expect any law or regulation with the word "sex" in it, these days, to come under similar scrutiny now.
Armed Conflict Location and Event Data (or ACLED) study finds that 93% of all Black Lives Matter protests this summer have been peaceful, with "no serious harm to people or damage to property." And, ah, who's causing the most harm and damage at the other 7%? Law enforcement (who use force "more often than not" at BLM protests, imagine that) and "non-state actors" (read "Nazi wannabes"). So I guess either you won't see this story on Fox News -- or, perhaps, the Fox News guest who tries to discuss it gets shouted over by all their "fair" and "balanced" hosts.
Jamie Galbraith at The Intercept says "Rebuilding the Economy Will Require Joe Biden to Think Very Differently Than 2009." "The Covid-19 pandemic has changed our economy for the long term...The decision, by millions of anxious Americans each acting in their own best interest — to eat and play at home, to save more and spend less, to protect their health and to hang on for as long as possible — creates an economic problem that cannot be palliated by money alone." Thus "(s)omething else must be done" to get our economy going -- and that something, gratifyingly, includes mobilizing, "as if in a wartime effort," both capital and work toward "a new set of purposes," which include "sustainable energy, mitigation of climate change, public health, and the reconstruction of life itself around safe and sustainable patterns of activity." But I wished Barack Obama had done all of that in 2009 (even said so then!), so when I hear Mr. Biden wants to "build back better," I'm no surer than Mr. Galbraith that he really means it.
Igor Derysh at Salon informs us that a Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco study finds that recent "wage growth" is almost entirely the result of a crap-ton of low-wage jobs going away thanks to this pandemic. Stick a pin in that, for when right-wingers try to tell you the economy's not so bad because THE WAGEZ HAVE GONEZ UPZ!!!!! I mean, you'd like to think people pay attention to their own paychecks, particularly the disappearance thereof, but true believers can tell themselves almost anything. (And, ah, hate to pile on, but you've noticed that the black unemployment rate our President wouldn't shut up about has skyrocketed lately? As they say, last ones hired, first ones fired.)
Finally, John Pierce, the attorney defending Kenosha shooter Kyle Rittenhouse resigns from legal foundation after media reports that a good chunk of the foundation's money has flowed right into Mr. Pierce's own financially-floundering law firm. A fellow lawyer at the foundations pshaws it, suggesting that nobody's perfect, but "imperfect" ain't the same as corrupt. Mr. Pierce, you may recall, also suggested that Mr. Rittenhouse has helped begin "(a) Second American Revolution against Tyranny"; maybe when you shoot three people at a peaceful protest, this is all you can get for a lawyer.