President Trump fires acting U.S. Attorney General Sally Yates after she refused to enforce his Executive Order targeting Muslim immigrants. And like the drama hound he is, Mr. Trump said she'd "betrayed" the Administration, as if anyone should care -- or as if most of us Americans don't worry a whole lot more about our government officials betraying us. But, golly, look at them balls swing!
Dean Baker at TruthOut reminds us -- among so many other things! -- that when "free" traders talk about the "dangers" of "automation," they're full of soup. Key facts: "the most rapid period of technological change was in the quarter century from 1947 to 1973, not the last two decades," and most manufacturing job losses happened between 2000 and 2007. I also suspect that most of these smartypants who talk about "automation" all the time have never used the self-checkout line at the supermarket.
Ellen Brown says we can cut infrastructure costs in half by funding them through state-run banks like the mighty Bank of North Dakota, which almost singlehandedly keeps that state out of recession. North Dakota's a pretty red state, too, which only goes to show that colors ain't everything. The right will squeal COMMUNISM SOCIALISM NAZISM KENYAN ANTI-COLONIALISM!!!!!, but why should they get all the say about everything?
Quinnipiac poll finds more than six out of 10 Americans support federal funding of Planned Parenthood, and seven in 10 think the Supreme Court decided Roe v. Wade correctly. Also, too, when folks learn that federal funding can't support abortion services, by law, their support for Planned Parenthood goes up to 80%. None of which matters to Republicans, who are too busy stoking rage in the other 20% in order to make folks think the popular will is something other than what it actually is.
Ho hum, Right-wingers (including Mr. Trump's spokeshack) depict Quebec City mosque shooter as a "Moroccan Muslim" when he's actually, guess what, a white supremacist. Think Sean Spicer will admit he's wrong? Think Fox News will admit they're wrong? The Cleveland Browns will get their act together before either of these things happen.
Finally, and also ho hum, the gentleman who keeps claiming 3 million folks voted illegally in 2016 is himself registered to vote in no less than three states. I could very well do what Mr. Phillips has done, and assert that merely because he was registered in three states, he must have committed felony voter fraud in three states! But only an asshole would do that, and I'm not an asshole.