Word on the street is that Republicans are getting ready to reintroduce the so-called Financial Choice Act -- but they're planning to make it even worse, in part by defanging the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau by crippling its rule-making ability and stripping it of authority to go after big corporations that try to rip off consumers. No amount of hand-wringing over properly-executed mandates is going to put lipstick on that pig, especially since the CFPB's role in exposing the Wells Fargo scandal -- you remember that, it was all over the news! -- has become so well-known. I recommend you call your Reps and Senators and tell them to reject the Financial Choice Act and any other attempt to keep our government from actually trying to protect us from financial predators. I have it on good authority that calling their D.C. and local offices is the best way to pressure them. That's six phone calls total, but it won't take as long as it sounds, and it'll work a lot better than hoping against hope.
Meanwhile, the Trump Administration may reverse the series of Obama Executive Orders that granted fundamental protections to those who work for federal contractors. The Obama Administration made federal contractors grant paid sick leave, pay at least $10.10 an hour, and be more transparent about gender pay and rights violations, while also preventing federal contractors from forcing their workers into binding arbitration agreements that abrogate their right to a day in court. Because, apparently, Mr. Trump's 46% victory at the polls was nothing if not a mandate for lower pay and worse treatment by your employers! I sure don't want to hear any right-wingers argue that the 25% of workers who work for federal contractors shouldn't have "more rights than everyone else" -- because the best way to fix that would be to ensure that the other 75% gets the same better deal! Anyway, the Economic Policy Institute helps you tell President Trump not to reverse the gains federal workers won under Mr. Obama. He doesn't care what you think, but duty is duty.